Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I Spy With My Little Eye.


What is that playing peek-a-boo round the corner of that building? Why yes, it IS an old car! Whenever I am out my car radar (cardar?!?) is always on. This past weekend it was a familiar wagon shape that caught my eye, sitting in the weeds in a courtyard of an apartment building. I ventured in for a quick peek, and got a look at a car I have always liked, a Lada 2104 wagon.
This legendary-in-its-own-way car was known with many names over its 30+ year lifespan, depending on the engine size and country of sale. Actually determining what specific model this is has turned out to be very difficult, as there were so many versions, but it appears to be an early to mid 80's wagon. I was always attracted to the slope of the rear end, and it has some decidedly old-school design elements, especially in the rear fender and hatch area.

This isn't surprising, as this Lada was based on an even older car, the Fiat 124. The 2104 was built by Russian automaker AvtoVaz, but carried the Lada Riva or Nova names in most of Europe. Basic, simple and tough, this car (and its sedan version, the 2105) sold well over 3,000,000 copies, and is generally known today as the Lada Classic. It was produced right up until 2012 for the home Russian market, having left the rest of Europe at the end of the 1990s due to tightening emissions restrictions.


Another relic, another photo, another story. I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for these abandoned gems! If anyone knows more about the Lada 2104, feel free to share! I like to think that there are a few people out there who also play the 'I Spy' game with these humble legends.


1 comment:

  1. Found a pretty rough sedan version for sale not too far away... hmmmm...

    http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/652498835.htm?ca=19_s

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?